Thursday, May 22, 2008

Obamarama: state Rep. Dan Gelber (D-Miami Beach)

Gelber, the Democratic leader of Florida's state House, begins by reminding the Congregation that Sen. Aronberg is single, he's Jewish, and he's a lawyer. Much laughter was had.

Next, Gelber introduced his young daughter, a straight-A student who was "an Obama girl" early on ... "as I listened to [Obama] speak, I began to find him more and more attractive as a candidate. He doesn't tell you what you want to hear, but rather what you need to hear, at a time when that is more important than at any other time in our history."

"As a Jew, I was impressed by [Obama] ... he has a real sense of refined justice."

Next, the topic of Israel. "Obama is not been in Florida for years. He's new to many of you, and I understand that. But I went online and I read his speeches before AIPAC, and I read his books, and I [realized that] he has a real understanding of the challenges that face Israel.... AIPAC gives him a 100% rating."

(Sinfonian here ... sure, AIPAC isn't the most popular organization around for progressives, but I assure you they are sending exactly the right message in the speeches so far, given their audience.)

Gelber: "Sen. Obama does not have an Israel problem. The Republicans have an election problem, and they are going to try to exploit this any way they can."

"They [Republicans] will only win if you do not believe your own eyes and your own ears." Don't believe the innuendo and rhetoric ... "any friend of Wexler's is a friend of Israel."

Gov. Crist invited some officials on a trade mission to Israel last year, but the "spirit guy" was Congressman Wexler. "I went through dozens of meetings there, and every single meeting, the people didn't just know who he was, but they had been at meetings with him before. I was amazed at the depth of his understanding of the challenges facing Israel. ... If Israel had a U.S. congressman, there is no question in my mind that her choice would be Robert Wexler of Florida."

Labels: , , , ,

<< Home