Obamarama update: event time changed
(this post is sticky until this afternoon -- scroll down for new material)
A short time ago, I received word that Sen. Obama has been delayed. As a result, the "town hall" meeting in Boca Raton has been pushed back from noon to 4:00 pm local time. I still plan to attend and, if possible, to liveblog it.
Keep it here for further updates as events warrant ...
UPDATE (12:11 pm 5/22/08): Here's the scoop on Sen. Obama's delay:
Barack Obama's visit to Palm Beach County was delayed until 4 p.m. today after the U.S. senator flew back to Washington D.C. this morning for a vote to expand veterans' benefits, his campaign officials said this morning.Wow. A presidential candidate who's a senator actually does his job. How refreshing. Kinda makes me feel better about the delay.
Obama was scheduled to visit the B'nai Torah Congregation in Boca Raton at 10:30 a.m.. Interested voters had already lined up when he flew in to the nation's capital at 9 a.m. from Orlando.
About 30 people were outside the temple this morning, hours before the doors were scheduled to open around 2:30.
Among them was Boca Raton resident Jeffery Jones, who showed up about 11 a.m. He said he would like Obama to clarify his position on Israel, but added: "I think he has a message to the people of America and the world. I think he's going to unite the country and end all the divisions this country has been dealing with."
Single mother Jean Louis Waldahe said she wants to hear Obama explain how he's going to make life better for working class people like herself.
"Every single day, I have to fill up my gas tank. And I don't even have the money. How come they raise the cost of food and gas but they don't raise people's paychecks?"
UPDATE (1:37 pm 5/22/08): Sens. Obama and Clinton both spoke on the Senate floor in support of the aforementioned bill, sponsored by Sen. Jim Webb (D-Va.) to provide expanded rights to veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan, and then voted "yea." The bill passed the Senate 75-22.
Huggy Bear did not vote -- apparently he is campaigning in California.
Now, remind me: which candidate, and which party, supports the troops? (I could have told you that before ... in fact, I did.)
Labels: Barack Obama, Boca Raton, liveblogging, meta, Obama liveblogging, personal




















<< Home