Monday, September 1, 2008

An open letter to women Democrats

I received this from my blogfriend Margie today via e-mail, and I thought it was compelling enough to share. It was written by a Phoenix woman who sent it to the local paper as a letter to the editor. She is skeptical that it will ever appear in print.

An open letter to women Democrats:

My dear sisters,

Please consider very carefully how you plan to vote in November. No matter how hurt you feel today, a McCain/Palin ticket will not bring you peace or satisfaction. Here is what it will bring:

Two people who openly oppose your right to choose. Think about 16 years (yes, it is entirely possible) during which at least three Supreme Court Justices could be selected. Do you really want Roe vs. Wade overturned? No matter the intricacies of your personal views on abortion, do you really want a return to back-alley, coat-hanger days?

Also, you will get a president who doesn’t think it is particularly important for you to earn the same wage as the men who do your job. John McCain said he would have voted against Lily Ledbetter because, after all, what right does government have in telling businesses how much to pay their employees? What right? I thought government existed to protect us from just such an abuse. And if it could happen to Lily in this 21st century, it could also happen to you. Or your daughter.

And finally, you will have two people (again, think 16 years) who believe that it is better to drill every last ounce of oil from this earth before putting any real money or muscle into alternative energy sources; two people who don’t see a problem with assault rifles made available to anyone with the money to buy them; and two people who think your health care, and that of all Americans, should be left to the open market. They say, Just go shopping for your best price, and too bad if you have a pre-existing condition.

Like you, I long to see a woman in the White House. But I will wait for someone who is not going to turn back the clock for my daughter. I hope you will consider following Senator Clinton’s lead and cast your precious, hard-won vote for Barack Obama and Joe Biden.

Thank you.

Marilyn McGrath
I trust certain disaffected Clinton supporters who might be considering a vote for Huggy Bear might read it and take it to heart.

The points are valid and, I strongly believe, the choice is clear.

UPDATE (8:51 pm 9/2/08): Just received an e-mail from Ms. McGrath herself, who asked whether I could provide a link to her website. Happy to oblige -- please check it out.

Labels: , , , ,

<< Home