Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Touched by an angel

I actually got a response from a the chief Villager!

Boca Raton, Fla.: You said "the Republicans' best hope is that their nominee will once again be seen as the best bet to keep the country safe from attack." Given that there is no way to remain "safe from attack," aren't the Republicans relying on false hope and fearmongering?

David S. Broder: No, I disagree. I think the public wish to reduce the threat of another attack is both prudent and undestandable. And the fact that we have gone more than six years without such an attack also suggests it is not illusory.
Yes, The Dean of Journamalism, David Broder, replied to my question. Of course, he did so by sidestepping the issue and putting up strawmen, but he replied! (Maybe it's because I put "Boca Raton," a conservative city, instead of "Boynton Beach," where I actually am at the moment ...)

Unfortunately, he didn't answer my follow-up:

You said, "And the fact that we have gone more than six years without such an attack also suggests it is not illusory."

Then when we went from 1993 to 2001 without an attack, we were as safe as we have been since 2001, correct?
Still, I'll never wash my computer again ...

Labels: , , ,

<< Home