Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Here comes Huckabee

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Mike Huckabee has surged into a virtual tie with front-runner Rudy Giuliani in the national 2008 Republican presidential race two weeks before the first contest, according to a Reuters/Zogby poll released on Wednesday.

Huckabee, a former governor of Arkansas whose campaign has caught fire in recent weeks, wiped out an 18-point deficit in one month to pull within one point of Giuliani, 23 percent to 22 percent.
I'm not saying that Rudy Giuliani is a better candidate, but I'm just pointing out that all my talk about Huckabee the last few months is beginning to come true. I've said all along that the batshit crazy fundies still run the GOP, and neither Giuliani nor Mitt Romney is palatable to them. Huckabee's got the aw-shucks demeanor and pulpit creds to boot, so naturally the Religious Right will push hard to get him the nomination.

Granted, this is the old "mythical national primary," but I think it accurately reflects the fawning press coverage Huckabee has received lately. I've even seen my first Huckabee bumper stickers around America's Wang™ in recent days, if that's any indication of (please excuse the expression) a surge. And of course the media hasn't even begun to dismantle Huckabee yet ... which leads me to wonder if they ever will.

But just remember, gang: wolf in sheep's clothing. If you think the Bush theocracy is heinous, just wait till you get a taste of the Huckabee theocracy.

Labels: , , , ,

<< Home