Thursday, August 9, 2007

Thanks for the memories, Mike

I have to interrupt my typical political diatribe for a sports bulletin: Buccaneers FB Mike Alstott (shown here leaving the Raymond James Stadium field for the last time as a player, on December 31, 2006) reportedly is retiring. The team has called a 2:00 pm press conference this afternoon for an "announcement regarding him," according to head coach Jon Gruden.

Regular Blast Off! readers know that I've been a Bucs fan since 1977 and a season ticket holder since 1998. Like many of my Buc fan friends, I was looking forward to tomorrow night's preseason opener in Tampa, against the New England Patriots, and getting ready for another season. Coming off a 4-12 year in 2006 and with a new starting QB (Jeff Garcia) and other key moves, there has been reason for optimism in Buccaneer Nation.

But now, even though the optimism is still there and the game still will be played tomorrow and I'll still be there, there's going to be a big piece missing. Not since 1995 have I attended a Bucs game that didn't include Number 40, but with his playing time decreasing in recent years, the writing apparently was on the wall.

I'm still puzzled why Coach Gruden and the Bucs' (alleged) braintrust decided that "The A-Train" wasn't a part of the team's plans anymore. He still had the drive, and last season when he did play (which wasn't much, admittedly), he was still pretty effective. I find it difficult to believe that a new fullback, whether back-up B.J. Askew or whoever, would be better than even a 33-year-old Alstott.

But the decision appears to have been made, and so we say goodbye to yet another Buc All-Pro. As I told my friend a few minutes ago after he called me to report the news, we made it through the departures of John Lynch, Warren Sapp, and others ... somehow we'll get through Alstott's departure as well.

Still, losing the other All-Pros led to 4-12 last year. It certainly doesn't bode well for 2007. But, thanks, Mike, for the excitement and the touchdowns over the years. One of my favorite football memories is witnessing an unbelievable one-yard TD run by Alstott at home against Washington a few years back. Count on seeing that highlight from Chris Berman and the gang on ESPN a time or two tonight ...

So long, Mike, and thanks again. Hope the fish keep biting ...

UPDATE (2:25 pm 8/9/07): In an emotional presser a few moments ago, Mike Alstott acknowledged that he would not officially retire, but he would go on injured reserve in order to avoid further injury to his neck, which he hurt in 2003. This means he won't play this year, but he wouldn't rule out a return in the future.

Realistically, though, he's probably finished as a player. Different terminology, same result ...

Labels: , , ,

<< Home