Friday, August 17, 2007

How Republicans choose their candidates

We've been encouraged to support Mitt Romney because he has "shoulders you could land a 737 on," and of course Fred Thompson is Tweety's latest man-crush because he smells like Aqua Velva.

Now, the egregiously idiotic Les Kinsolving is touting Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (R, right) as a potential running-mate on the GOP ticket because she has a photograph "that would stop traffic" and "a smile that could melt all the tundra of the Arctic Circle."

Even though Alaska has very few electoral votes, Sarah Palin would be an absolutely devastating addition to the GOP ticket – particularly if the Democrats nominate Hillary.

[...]

[Fred] Barnes described her as "a politician of eye-popping integrity ... now the most popular governor in America with an approval rating in the 90s, and probably the most popular public official in any state."

(And, let me add, just wonderfully equipped to counter if the Democrats presidentially nominate another – if older – pretty lady.)

[...]

I suggest this gorgeous and thoroughly gutsy governor would be a great Veep nominee.

[...]

2008, in Minneapolis, could be vice-presidentially electrifying – if they choose Alaska's gorgeous and gutsy governor.

Sadly, however, I am obliged to report – and it is on the record – that at the White House daily news briefing July 16th, Presidential Press Secretary Tony Snow gave Gov. Palin what I recall – in both tone of voice as well as brevity – was distinctly short shrift.

I asked Tony Snow:

Q: Washington's 'Weekly Standard' reports from Juneau, Alaska, that the new Republican Governor, Sarah Palin, has an approval rating of 90 percent in the polls; that's 9-0. What is the president's reaction to this and her future?

MR. SNOW (very quickly) "He's happy for her."

That's it. Nothing more.

Which seems to me to be very sad.
No, Les, what's "very sad" is that you can't keep from drooling on the keyboard. I mean, are Republicans just hyper-aware of physical appearance or, as I believe more likely, is it just that they want to nominate "eye candy" because they know they can't win on the issues?

Besides, I see your hot Republican governor and raise you a hot Democratic governor. So there.

Seriously, Les. Take a cold shower. Or at least get some Kleenex. Sheesh.

P.S. Sorry I had to link to WorldNet Daily. Mea culpa.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

<< Home