Monday, June 25, 2007

I'd like to nominate "Psycho Killer"

Here's your chance to make history and become a legend in America's Wang™.

Florida is looking for a new state song, to replace the Stephen Foster classic "Swanee River."

The tune popularly known as “Swanee River” is a famous tune, but it's been criticized for its allusions to plantation life that some believe are racist.

The Florida Music Educators' Association says it's already received 19 entries since the search for a new song began five weeks ago, though some of them have been eliminated for failing to follow entry procedures.

The contest closes October [1st]. The music association plans to appoint a panel to narrow the entries to three, then post them online.

State residents will be able to listen and vote and the winner will be proposed in a legislative bill sponsored by Hill next year.
Go read the press release, where you can find application forms.

I know they're looking for original compositions, but I suspect the readers of this humble shitty blog would have some suggestions from existing songs ... I'll get things started:

Along with my titular suggestion, how about ...

Crazy (Patsy Cline, Seal, Gnarls Barkley, etc. -- take your pick)
Crazy Bitch
Insane in the Membrane
Janie's Got a Gun
Bullet With a Name On It

Please put your nominations in Comments, so that all can celebrate the absurdity that is Florida.

Labels: , , , ,

<< Home