Liveblog: Florida Attorney General debate, Aronberg vs. Gelber
Note: language is paraphrased except when in quotes.
After some technical difficulties, both mine and the debate's, we're underway in the Florida Attorney General Democratic candidate debate between Dan Gelber and Dave Aronberg. Moderator is Prof. Susan McManus of the University of South Florida.
Gelber won the toss and makes the first opening statement. "Republicans, your driving privileges have been suspended; hand over the keys." "I was a federal prosecutor for over a decade ... no type of case that I haven't prosecuted ... I [also] know how to win in Florida."
Gelber calls current AG Bill McCollum (Republican candidate for governor) "missing in action." Florida is "a state that needs dramatic change." He is running "to stand up for principles and passions that you have."
Now Aronberg gets three minutes. "I've made a career out of beating Republicans in the legislature and at the ballot box ... in Florida, we're stuck in neutral." He will be the first AG in eight years "who actually wants to be AG" (a reference to McCollum and former AG Charlie Crist). Aronberg says they are more interested in press conferences than public safety ... role of AG is to "make people safe in their own lives." "I protect workers from the union-busting ways of the legislature ... I protect a woman's right to choose ... and I will vigorously promote equal pay for equal work." "I will end our state's amoral discrimination when it comes to adoption."
First question: how do you differentiate yourself from your opponent?
Aronberg: announces that he was inducted into the Netroots' Progressive Hall of Fame. There are many similarities between the candidates, but I have actual experience in the AG's office, working with former (Democratic) AG Bob Butterworth. "If what you want is to be Attorney General, you don't have an eye on the governor's office or the Senate, you are the Attorney General." Let's elect someone whose life's ambition is to be the Attorney General.
Gelber: our voting records are different on things like vouchers and SB 360. "I have a lot of experience as a prosecutor. I ran one of the largest district attorney's offices in the country. Note what our experience is ... "I do believe experience matters." "I have stood up against everything they've thrown ... when they wanted to shut down early voting, I showed up in the governor's office and promoted early voting."
Question: what can you do about corruption?
Gelber: I've spent my career fighting corruption. One thing I definitely will do is work for campaign finance reform.
Aronberg: starts by emphasizing (in response to a statement by Gelber earlier), "I have never voted for vouchers." AG can't be afraid to step on toes, to avoid prosecuting the Ray Sansoms of the world for political reasons.
Labels: Attorney General, Bill McCollum, Dan Gelber, Dave Aronberg, Florida Democratic Party




















<< Home