Tom and Andy, make way for Bob and the Kennedys
I really like this idea:
Following a trend around the state, the Hillsborough County Democratic Party has dumped Jefferson/Jackson from the name of its annual fundraising dinner and replaced it with Kennedy/Graham. "I just don't think people relate to Jefferson/Jackson," said party chairman Pat Kemp. "And some people objected to the name because they were slave owners. It's a new generation."Although my college career kind of compels me to hold Thomas Jefferson in high esteem, I think this is a great move. The Kennedys -- all three of them -- are paragons of the Democratic Party and, in fact, were far more progressive (for the most part) than Democratic leadership is today. And as for Bob Graham, well, longtime Blast Off! readers know how highly I think of him.
The Graham is, of course, former Florida governor and U.S. Sen. Bob Graham. Kemp cited respect for Graham's independence and "the fact that he’s still a strong voice in Florida for Democratic ideals.” The Kennedy is all-inclusive, Kemp said. Supporters of the name-change talked a lot about Ted Kennedy and his leadership on health care reform, but in the end the name honors Ted, Bobby and John, she said.
So, how about it, Florida Democratic Party? Isn't it time to consider making this change on a statewide level? I'd love to hear something about it this weekend ....
Labels: Bob Graham, Florida Democratic Party, Hillsborough County, Jefferson-Jackson Day, personal, Thomas Jefferson




















<< Home