Sunday, October 11, 2009

Florida Attorney General debate, thread 2

Question: What will you do in the arena of civil rights?

Aronberg: I worked in the Senate to compensate Allen Crotzer. The goal is do justice and get it right, because you may never have another chance. Under Bob Butterworth, we were a leader in civil rights -- can you imagine Florida a leader in civil rights? Remember when he went after the Adam's Mark in Daytona? It's time for an AG to do that [kind of thing] again.

Gelber: I've actually tried civil rights cases. I've put violent racists in jail myself. I stood up to bring sexual orientation to the floor when I was House Democratic leader, and I delivered every Democratic vote to say that you cannot dehumanize someone on the basis of sexual orientation.

Question: Regarding prescription drug abuse, how would you tackle that issue?

Gelber: Florida is Ground Zero for Oxy-Contin. I have children going into public schools ... if I am AG, this will be a top priority.

Aronberg: this issue has been one of my top priorities for my entire career. I led the fight against the maker of Oxy-Contin, who was marketing it like it was Advil. We proposed a prescription drug database, which Republicans opposed until last year when it finally passed. We now require that a doctor be in charge of the pill mills. I think one of the great shames is that there are more pill mills and "pain clinics" in Broward County than there are McDonald's -- 89 of them!

Question: How would you address Medicare/Medicaid fraud?

Aronberg: We certainly will address it! The Medicare/Medicaid fraud division of the AG's office is one of the most powerful offices there. The Attorney General now has sat on his hands and refused to enforce it. There is more such fraud in Miami-Dade County than in all the other counties combined! We know where it is, so why aren't we doing anything about it?

Gelber: There is a reason for all this fraud: large elderly and immigrant populations. We're facing this all over the state and I'm committed to ending this fraud.

Question: What about gangs?

Gelber: I worked as a prosecutor to reduce gang violence and dismantle gangs. I've been in the neighborhoods, prosecuting, persuading people to be witnesses, promising and delivering protection for them. We need someone who will stand up against this crime.

Aronberg: Gangs are a problem throughout the state. I wrote much of the language of our state's first comprehensive anti-gang law. But the current AG supported this bill and helped take all the money out of it! If you don't fund prosecutors and police, you can't get this done. Even though it was my bill, I refused to put my name on it because I won't support doing it halfway. Gangs are more like organized crime now. While we're at it, let's do something about bullying in schools -- that's where gangs start. We need to stop the cycle of violence.

Question: what can you do about sexual predators?

Aronberg: You're going to look like you're soft on sex offenders, I was told, because I pushed for reform in this area. Our laws have put sex offenders under bridges and overpasses. I can't imagine anything less safe than having an army of homeless sex offenders. All six Democratic sheriffs who have endorsed a candidate in this race have endorsed me. We treat 18-year-olds with 16-year-olds the same way we treat 50-year-olds with 9-year-olds. That is ridiculous.

Gelber: This is not an easy problem and does not have an easy solution. I worked in the House when that bill came up, and indeed there should be a difference in treatment regarding ages and conduct. The clerk who sells a pornographic magazine to a 16-year-old should not be treated the same as the 60-year-old who molests a child. I believe we have to fix the law, but one thing we always have to stand for is protecting our families and our children.

Labels: , , ,

<< Home