Monday, June 1, 2009

Blast Off! Radio today at 4:00 pm EDT: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

It's been a very interesting week in Florida and national politics, and I've been privileged to experience some of it personally. After attending the Florida Democratic Party's Jefferson-Jackson festivities in Miami Beach this weekend, I was pretty highly motivated and ready to dive back into another week of liberal intrigue and excitement (if there is such a thing). Then came the news of the assassination of Dr. George Tiller, and suddenly I saw in stark relief the battles that still lie before us as progressives in America today.

Today on Blast Off! Radio, I'll share my thoughts about the Tiller killing and the causes that seem to have impelled Scott Roeder to commit murder (allegedly). In a larger sense, though, I'm thinking about inflammatory right-wing rhetoric and its effect on those most susceptible to it ... as we saw with the most horrific results yesterday.

But of course, I also want to spend some time reviewing Jefferson-Jackson, especially with regard to the role of the netroots there (and how we scooped all the major press on at least two highly significant stories -- yeah, one of those was mine). I'll talk about the latest in the school prayer fiasco going on in Santa Rosa County, where Pace High School's graduates "spontaneously" recited the Lord's Prayer at Saturday's graduation ceremony. And I'll respond to the baseless, scurrilous charges of state Rep. Luis Garcia (D-Miami Beach), who accused me of resembling corrupt Republican, former House speaker Ray Sansom. Shocking!

There'll be plenty more, including the Sotomayor nomination and what the Republican Party of Florida might be thinking ... but as always, the show depends on you, the listener, to really make it work. Here's how to listen and participate:

TIME: 4:00 pm Eastern TODAY
Call in number: (646) 716-7543

Please mark your calendars now to join me this afternoon for what promises to be an entertaining yet profoundly thought-provoking hour.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

<< Home