Friday, April 10, 2009

Getting back at the gay-bashing, fear-mongering bigots at NOM

You've probably heard of the new hate group, the "National Organization for Marriage." These despicable people are spending millions to confuse and conflate the issue of church marriage with that of marriage recognized by the government (and providing the benefits thereof) in order to advance their bigoted viewpoint against (civil) marriage for same-sex couples.

They recently released a television ad called "Gathering Storm." I won't post the video here, but I'll give you a link if you haven't seen it already and you want to do so. It maliciously preys on the fears of the uneducated and homophobic, and the actors who appear in it (yep, actors -- evidently they couldn't get actual bigots to do the ad, I guess because they're all too malevolently ugly) are just as culpable for spreading the hate. (Speaking of the actors, if you do view the ad, please tell me that's not "Deb" from Napoleon Dynamite at :41 of the video ... although it sure looks like her.)

Although I don't want to post that disgusting video, I'll give you an excerpt in transcript form, so you can see what I'm talking about:

WOMAN: There's a storm gathering.
MAN: The clouds are dark, and the winds are strong.
WOMAN: And I am afraid.

[...]

MAN (referring to same-sex marriage advocates): They want to bring the issue into my life.
WOMAN: My freedom [pause for effect] will be taken away.
WOMAN: I'm a California doctor who must choose between my faith and my job.
MAN: I'm part of a New Jersey church punished by the government because we can't support same-sex marriage.
WOMAN: I am a Massachusetts parent helplessly watching public schools teach my son that gay marriage is okay.

[...]

WOMAN: Those advocates want to change the way I live.
WOMAN WHO LOOKS LIKE DEB FROM NAPOLEON DYNAMITE: I will have no choice.
Jesus H. Christ in a feather boa and high heels, that's some seriously hateful hyperbole, eh? "I am afraid." Damn. How can they think that same-sex marriage advocates want to change how they live? Taking away your freedom? How exactly? And nice work having the doctor character summarily decide to ignore the Hippocratic Oath and imply that she would refuse treatment for the gay community (lie -- or incredibly unprofessional) or suggesting that the government is punishing a church (lie).

The good news is that once you piss off the GLBT community and those like me who are "straight but not narrow," well, you can bet you'll be caught in a snark blizzard. They'll be shoveling out from under this video for a while, I imagine:


Nicely played ...

UPDATE (11:32 am 4/11/09): I've gone back and labeled this post as part of the Blog Against Theocracy, even though I wrote and posted it before my BAT09 introduction. The more I think about it, the more I realize that the theocracy against which we are blogging includes hate groups like NOM, who perniciously justify their homophobic rhetoric with bastardized Christian doctrine. Therefore, I believe this belongs in the BAT canon, if only to expose these Christianist bigots and their hate.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

<< Home