I don't get it
Okay, fine. I've given this a lot of thought, but at the end of the day, I'm forced to admit: I just don't get it.*
I don't get why Republicans think that tax cuts, especially for the wealthy, are supposed to be good for the economy when what it really needs is a significant infusion of revenue.
I don't get how they can blame Clinton, Obama, and pretty much everyone but the true culprit – Bush and his policies – for the nation's current economic woes.
I don't get why deregulation is so great; it didn't work for the last eight years, while the “invisible hand of the free market” was too busy jerking itself off to anticipate the predictable greed and ruthlessness of the billionaires who ran the biggest banking and investment firms.
I don't get why government is bad, except when it's poking into our bedrooms or women's bodies, or maybe when it's putting out house fires or arresting criminals.
Speaking of criminals, I don't get how Republicans can celebrate the “greatness” of George W. Bush, who had the last, best chance of preventing 9/11 and whose laissez-faire economic policies drove the American economy, while condemning Bill Clinton for getting a blow job in the White House. Even if Clinton lied about it under oath, is that really worse than lying before Congress and the country about the existence of WMDs in order to foment an illegal (and poorly managed) war?
I don't get why Republicans so vehemently oppose providing all Americans with access to health care, thereby bringing us in line with every other industrialized nation in the world. Are they that selfish that they don't care about those too poor to afford decent health care for themselves and their families?
I don't get why Republicans are so disproportionately involved in political corruption and sexual scandal, but still they're the “family values” party.
I don't get why Republicans believe a perpetual state of war is preferable to a perpetual state of peace.
I don't get how anyone can argue against the premise that the best way to support the troops is to bring them home.
I don't get what is so great about owning guns that, led by the NRA, they'll fight against even reasonable efforts to restrict access to assault weapons and the like.
I don't get why Republicans seem so intent on destroying public education.
I don't get what's so difficult to understand about "separation of church and state."
I don't get why those with the least income and education so overwhelmingly vote Republican when it is so obviously, so clearly against their interests to do so.
There's a lot more I don't get, but I think that about does it for now. Maybe someone can shed some light on it for me.
* Yes, I know this is all generalization, but if you're troubled by that, just substitute "so many Republicans" or "most Republicans" or something like that. Thanks in advance for not hammering me on that minute point.
Labels: Bill Clinton, education, George W. Bush, gun control, military, personal, Republicans




















<< Home