Democratic setback in south Florida
Disappointing news this morning out of Fort Lauderdale, as attorney and Democratic candidate Walter "Skip" Campbell (right) is reconsidering his candidacy for Florida Senate District 25, where he presently is slated to take on Senate president-designate Jeff Atwater (R-Palm Beach Gardens). Recent polls show Campbell with a slight lead, and this is a terrific opportunity to dethrone one of the Senate's most notorious GOP leaders. But Campbell's withdrawal could change all that."I would be not forthright with if you if I did not tell you that there are considerations as to whether I'm going to stay in the race," Campbell said.Indeed it does.
Campbell, a Democrat who formerly served in the Senate, said he will make the decision before July 4, citing "personal reasons" for a possible exit.
"I am not dying," said Campbell ...
[Incoming Senate Democratic leader Al] Lawson said he will travel to South Florida on Thursday to scout potential replacements for Campbell, who qualified for the race before the Friday deadline, giving party officials the ability to pick a replacement for him on the November ballot.
But that may be hard to accomplish because some prospects who were interested in running have already qualified for other races and cannot switch.
"It puts us in a bad situation," Lawson said.
The timing is particularly unfortunate because Campbell was given a prime speaking slot at the Florida Democratic Party's Jefferson-Jackson Dinner on June 14, where he shared his vision for returning Florida to greatness following years of detrimental Republican control. There was a real buzz about him around the hotel that day -- I was there and I saw it for myself -- and there was real optimism about getting Atwater out of Tallahassee.
Now there's just uncertainty. Stay tuned ...
Labels: 2008, Democrats, Florida legislature, Jeff Atwater, Skip Campbell




















<< Home