Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The password is ... FUKUDA

Holden Caulfield at First Draft alerts us to a hilarious event potentially coming soon to a White House near you:

I can't wait for [Drunky McStagger] to attempt a pronunciation of the new Japanese Prime Minister's name.
Parliament elected political insider Yasuo Fukuda to be Japan's prime minister Tuesday, thrusting the veteran moderate into the job of battling a resurgent opposition and rebuilding the scandal-scarred ruling party.
I'm reminded of a situation that I actually lived through, and somehow my career emerged intact.

It was around 2000, and I was working at a private university in Florida that shall remain nameless. My boss, the dean of one of the university's colleges, was presiding over the college's annual scholarship award ceremony. About 300 people -- parents, donors, students, etc. -- were in attendance.

I had coached him on the names in advance, but that didn't deter him, as he plowed right through. He was doing fine until he got to one name, which he unabashedly pronounced the worst way imaginable:

FUKUSHITA

Yep: short "u," followed by long "u," followed by short "i." I don't think I'll ever forget the silence in the room, followed immediately by uproarious laughter, as long as I live.

So, go for it, Drunky. Say it loudly and proudly: Fukuda!

Labels: , , , , ,

<< Home