Today's Daily Schadenfreude: Ray Sansom
Former Florida House Speaker Ray Sansom (R-naturally) keeps getting himself into hot water. Not only is the guy facing multiple charges arising out of his (alleged) role in a corrupt bargain at Northwest Florida State College (NWFSC), but now it turns out that, contrary to that old (and now completely discredited) claim that Republicans are against spending, he's actually been spending lavishly for himself and his family -- using Republican Party of Florida (RPOF) funds.
Ousted House Speaker Ray Sansom racked up about $173,000 on his Republican Party-issued credit card, taking his family on a trip to Europe, making visits to Best Buy and spending thousands on flowers, clothing, meals and hotels.Normally, when I prepare these Daily Schadenfreude features, I only laugh at the misfortune of others in a figurative sense. I mean, I'm not a monster, y'know? But this time, I've actually LOL'd (as the kids say) at ol' Ray's hypocrisy and arrogance. Those expenses don't look much like Party business, do they? I mean, I know Republicans are supposed to be far more extravagant than we DFHs are, but this is well beyond the pale by any sensible standard. $11, 000 at Best Buy? Trips to Europe? $839 at Starbucks? I mean, my own devotion to triple grande non-fat no-foam lattes is well-known, but this is hilarious!
As a recession tightened on Florida families, Sansom was spending freely, records show, on tuxedo rentals, Chinese food and a steady flow of coffee — $839 at Starbucks alone.
[...]
Under state law, the specifics of party credit card expenditures are shielded from the public. Only bottom-line amounts are revealed. That makes the Sansom reports all the more eye-catching. He spent $11,475 at Best Buy alone and $8,993 at Friendly Florist in Fort Walton Beach.
In response to these revelations, Republican legislators all over Florida are
Following today's story about Ray Sansom's use of a Republican Party-issued credit card, the chairman of the Brevard County REC is calling for an immediate stop to all other use of cards and said he will make a motion at this weekend's RPOF gathering in Orlando.Don't sell yourself short, Jason -- you Republicans actually are pretty accomplished at looking "very very stupid." But Steele's efforts are spreading like
Chairman Jason Steele also wants the Republican Party of Florida to open its books for a complete audit. ..."We need to stop this stuff. It’s just ridiculous," Steele told the Buzz. "It needs to stop right now. It does not look good for the Republican party. It makes us look very very stupid."
Sansom spent over $44,000 in Okaloosa County alone -- thereby providing a significant percentage of the county's GDP all by himself, I imagine. And his explanation? Man, talk about a lack of remorse:
Sansom defended his spending by saying it was done while crisscrossing the state in the name of raising money for Republican candidates and getting those candidates elected.I'm not sure how his family vacation to Europe or a $739 plane ticket for his daughter contributed to raising money for Republicans, but what do I know? But I guess that kind of misconduct is honorable among the GOP; otherwise, why would Sansom have said he was so proud?
The GOP raised over $13 million during his 2007-08 stint as speaker designate “and got all 76 members elected in what were some of the toughest political times for Republicans in the last several years,” Sansom said.
“You have to spend money to raise money, and we raised more money than in any previous election year,” he said. “I’m very pleased and proud of our efforts.”
Sansom's trial on the NWFSC corruption and perjury charges is scheduled to begin on September 29. Make sure you have plenty of popcorn -- it's gonna be a great show! In the meantime, congratulations to Ray Sansom, for today's Blast Off! Daily Schadenfreude* is for you!
* It's getting to the point where I may just name the damn award for Sansom ...
Labels: Florida Republican Party, Ray Sansom, Republicans, schadenfreude




















<< Home