Monday, August 4, 2008

I'm John McCain, and I approve this nap

Did you see the video from Huggy Bear's appearance in Panama City, Fla., on Friday? Take a look at this, as he attempts (with Gov. Charlie Crist at his side, notably not whispering correct responses to Huggy as Joe Lieberman once did) to answer a question from the audience about Obama's alleged use of the "race card." (He finally begins to answer it on the third camera angle ...)



Okay, I know it's impolite -- even uncivil -- to suggest that maybe, just maybe, Huggy is too old to be president. In other words, no one wants to "play the age card."

Look, folks, we're not talking here about Strom Thurmond or Robert Byrd in the Senate or Thurgood Marshall (whom I once personally saw fall asleep on the bench) on the Supreme Court. We're talking about president of the United States ... the person with the proverbial finger on the button. This is not a position -- at least not anymore -- where one can hide one's mental shortcomings, despite the fact that Reagan and Drunky McStagger did so with varying degrees of success.

I'm sorry, but I believe the presidency requires a certain mental and, yes, even physical vigor that Huggy just doesn't have. Whether that's because of his advanced age or some other physical condition, I don't know, and besides, it's not relevant -- I am sure there are 72-year-olds with energy and mental sharpness out there, just as there are infirm 47-year-olds (happy 47th birthday, Sen. Obama!). Add Huggy's notoriously short temper to his obvious infirmities and it's a real recipe for disaster. Put simply, Huggy Bear is not fit to be president.

One wonders if, when told he was speaking in Panama City, Huggy thought it would be nice to visit his birthplace again ...

Labels: , , , , ,

<< Home