Saturday, March 15, 2008

An odd couple

You know, I don't mean to gang up on Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.) just a couple of days before I plan to meet her -- and ask her some pointed questions -- at a luncheon. But I just don't understand what her deal is. First, she said she won't campaign against the Three Hyphenated Stooges -- Reps. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Mario Diaz-Balart, and Lincoln Diaz-Balart, all Republicans from Miami -- despite the fact that she is the co-chair of the DCCC's Red-to-Blue effort.

Now, her personal allegiances are really interfering with her ability to do her job politically, as she recently said, "I can't say enough good things about Ileana Ros-Lehtinen; she has been my friend since I was first elected to office."

You mean the same Ileana Ros-Lehtinen whose votes you consistently (and correctly) have opposed in Congress, Debbie? You mean the same Ros-Lehtinen whose idea of foreign policy openly includes assassination? Are we talking about the same person here?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: friendships are fine off the field or, in this case, the floor of the House. But when it comes time for you to do your job, Debbie, you need to set those feelings aside for the good of the country. Your constituents didn't elect you for your friends; they elected you for your values. Don't sacrifice those values for the sake of a friendship. Do you really think "Killeana" would do that if the situation were reversed? I highly doubt it.

Maybe the DCCC needs to bring a new Red-to-Blue co-chair in from the bullpen ...

Labels: , , , , , ,

<< Home