Liberal media, my ass (ver. ... oh, hell, I've lost count)
I read The Palm Beach Post because it's my hometown paper, not because of any great journalistic standards of excellence. Indeed, they actually have a rather leftward lean in their editorials, although they do carry a disconcerting number of nationally syndicated dumbasses (Brooks, Dowd, Will, among others).
However, I find their reporting not so much biased to the right as much as just plain sloppy. I told you some weeks ago about how they cited and quoted a right-wing think tank as authority for the claim that early voting was risky and unnecessary. That seemed sloppy and lacking in journalistic credibility ... and today I found another example.
In an article today about the proposed mail-in primary, written by Michael C. Bender and Larry Lipman, the subheadline states "Opposition to the idea is swift, and even both campaigns are wary." Yet it takes nearly halfway into the article before the opposition is mentioned, and there is no particular rationale offered for the opposition.*
Worse, though, is the jump header on page 16A, proclaiming in bold type over the article's continuation, "Party chaos could push some Democrats to GOP." Of course, the article says no such thing -- it refers instead to how "some" Democrats might vote for Huggy Bear because of the "fiasco." How many Democrats? According to the poll cited in the article, 14%. Fourteen percent. I guess technically this is "some Democrats" being "pushed ... to [the] GOP," but the headline unnecessarily trumpets what is both an insignificant number of disaffected Democrats and an insignificant point in terms of the entire article.
Sometimes, you know, it's not the overt, Hannityesque bias in the media that gets you. It's the subtle stuff like this, over and over and over again.
* I
Labels: Florida, media, Palm Beach Post, primary




















<< Home