I'll have what he's smoking
I'm not sure what Gov. Crist is seeing, but the glasses he's wearing sure are rosy:
In light of the dire assessments of state university presidents on the effects of more budget cuts, The Buzz asked FSU alum Gov. Charlie Crist if he sees himself as presiding over an historic deterioration of Florida's higher education system.As the kids say, OMFG. Charlie, remember Amendment 1, which passed thanks in no small part to your smiling mug on all the billboards? You know, the tax break for the wealthy that's going to drain $9.2 billion from the state's coffers, on top of $15 billion in cuts that your pals, House Speaker Marco Rubio and Senate President Ken Pruitt, shepherded through the Legislature? Money that would have gone to public services and schools and, oh yeah, the state universities? Remember now?
Of course not, he said. Universities should live within their means and be satisfied with his spending proposals, which include more money and no tuition increase. "They have a right to that view," Crist said. "We have great universities and their recognition of that fact is important, and I am very proud of my Florida State roots ... If they're unhappy, maybe they ought to turn the reins over to somebody else."
This means you, T.K. Wetherell [of FSU], Bernie Machen [of UF], Frank Brogan [of FAU], Judy Genshaft [of USF], John Delaney [of UNF] ...
[...]
FIU President Mitch Maidique spoke of a system facing "the biggest threat in its history" with deeper cuts anticipated.
Crist doesn't see it. "My point is, things are pretty good in Florida," he said. "We have it pretty darn good here."
Charlie, if you're going to be a tool, at least be an honest one. Hell, even I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say you're "presiding over an historic deterioration of Florida's higher education system," but you certainly inherited one from your truly odious predecessor. I don't know if you're lying, or if you truly believe that "we have it pretty darn good here." Maybe that unnatural tan is seeping through to your brain ...
(h/t Eschaton commenter sdf (Stu) )
Labels: Charlie Crist, Florida, higher education, universities




















<< Home