Thursday, February 28, 2008

Florida is the batshit craziest stupidest fucking state in America

This is old news now, but since I just found out about it yesterday (via Incertus and Palm Beach Post columnist Frank Cerabino), it's news to me! Maybe it's news to you, too ... but even if not, I absolutely have to weigh in.

State Rep. Don Brown (R-1861) has introduced a bill to create a "Confederate Heritage" license plate, to go along with the other six thousand plates we have in this state. There's really little more I can say that hasn't already been covered by Incertus, Princess Sparkle Pony (who offers some brilliant alternatives -- seriously, go look), and others. But I'll just say that yet again, it's embarrassing to be a Floridian and show myself in polite society amongst people from other, less certifiably insane states, when we have to explain how some ridiculous parody of a human being actually proposed legislation to, basically, display overt racism on cars in this state.

What's even more embarrassing is that this piece of shit Brown even got elected to the Legislature in the first place ... four times. It makes a little more sense when you look at his district (detailed PDF version here):

Basically, it takes in all the most backwards, racist, dumbfuck parts of the Panhandle* while excluding anything even remotely in the 21st Century (that is, along the immediate coast, like, you know, cities). Demographically, the district is around 60% registered Democrats (PDF) (proving once again my point about the Dixiecrats still running things in the Panhandle), but it's closer to 100% dumbass.

Please, Legislature, for once in your miserable terms, do the right thing, and don't let this license plate through. Please.

UPDATE (12:06 am 2/29/08): See above.

* I hate to generalize about an area, and so I apologize to any sensible, reality-based people who may live in this district. But more than that, I pity you, because it must really suck to live there.

Labels: , , , ,

<< Home