Mixed feelings
It's halftime here at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, where I'm watching the Buccaneers lead the Arizona Cardinals, 10-3.
But I'm struck by my ambivalence, as over 150 men and women just were sworn into the U.S. armed services during a halftime ceremony. I'm as patriotic as anyone, but I found it difficult to cheer for these young people, as thousands around me did, because I know some or all of them are destined to face combat in an illegal, never-ending "war" based on lies and misinformation, relying for its support on xenophobia and misplaced loyalty.
I'm saddened to feel the way I do, but sadder still that the Bush crime syndicate has caused me to question whether or not I, in good conscience, can applaud the inevitable sacrifices of these young people, who I'm sure are motivated by patriotism and thoughts of heroism.
This is what the Republicans have done to my country. And I want my country back.
UPDATE (10:33 pm 11/4/07): I'm back home now and re-reading what I wrote. Hindsight doesn't make me feel any better. The troll in comments doesn't make me feel any better, either, but that's because he (?) missed the entire fucking point, unsurprisingly.
And I imagine I'll be talking more about this on Blast Off! Radio tomorrow at 2:00 pm Eastern. Hope you'll tune in.
Labels: Buccaneers, George W. Bush, Iraq, military, personal




















<< Home