Tuesday, May 8, 2007

An unforgettable experience

I know that the vast majority of you have no idea who -- or what -- I am . But I hope you will indulge me for a moment, particularly for the benefit of anyone who does know me and/or is interested in my trip, to tell you that I had an amazing time in Brazil. As I wrote this yesterday (it was about 5:30 a.m., and it was an hour ahead of U.S. Eastern time) in the Porto Alegre airport, I found myself partly ready to be home, but partly wishing to experience more of this incredible culture and lifestyle.

Yes, certainly Brazil has its problems, and in many places, crime and poverty are persistent and tragic. But for what it's worth, my introduction to this country over the last several days has been enjoyable, enlightening, and definitely worth repeating ... so who wants to join me on a South American escapade next year? ;)

I thought I'd post a few pictures before getting back to the politics and snark. Thanks for your understanding.


A view of condos and apartments overlooking Porto Alegre's "Parcão."



I attended the Rio Grande do Sul state futebol championship Saturday, along with 40,000 of my new friends. The hometown Grémio side defeated Juventude, 4-1, setting off raucous celebrations all night!



This was the center of the action at the stadium -- the home of the true torcedors (fans), who jumped and chanted and cheered non-stop. The best cheer can be translated roughly as "Suck my dick, you son of a bitch! And take it up the ass!" I saw 10-year-olds screaming that to the other team ...



Oh, yes, I was in Brazil for a wedding, after all: a Brazilian Catholic/Jewish wedding. Talk about a melting pot ...!




Finally, here's a special one, just for the Atriots.

Labels: , , ,

<< Home