Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Vern Buchanan needs remedial reading comprehension

I've been puzzled by the strangely detached, surprisingly uninformed tweets lately by U.S. Rep. Vern Buchanan (R-Sarasota) regarding health care reform. On the one hand, I recognize that Florida hardly lacks for ignorant GOP members of Congress who seem to be unaware of the U.S. Constitution ... but Buchanan seems not to understand the English language -- an especially bizarre concept, considering Buchanan's own xenophobic, pandering call to make English the official language of the United States.

The word in question here -- the one that the erstwhile car dealer who originally won his congressional seat under highly questionable circumstances apparently doesn't comprehend -- is "option." As in "choice" or "selection." OPTION.

Yesterday, Rep. Buchanan tweeted, "If the public plan is so great, why shouldn't members of Congress be required to enroll in the same plan?" The obvious answer -- obvious to anyone with the ability to reason coherently, that is -- would be that no one would be required to enroll in the "public plan," because it would be an option. A choice, which one may make or not make as desired. That's the fundamental idea of an option, and I made that point (in abbreviated form) in my response to the congressman.

But I cut Vern some slack since he didn't use the word "option." That all changed today, though, when ol' Vern cut loose with this nugget of numbskullery:

click image for larger version

Vern ... poor, deluded Vern ... how many times do I have to tell you? A "public option" means you don't have to enroll. Even members of Congress don't have to enroll. And don't give me that crap about Max Baucus' massive FAIL of a bill. That's not a public option in any way, shape, or form.

What this country really needs is single-payer health care, like every other civilized nation on the planet and like the U.S. military and Medicare. Barring that, though, it appears we'll have to settle for a public option. And "option," Vern, means "choice." Everyone can keep their employer-provided coverage, Vern, if they so choose (or opt). But there would be an option (there's that word again!) to elect coverage under the federal health care plan for those who don't have the privilege of employer-provided coverage -- as members of Congress do, I know, and yes, even as I do through COBRA.

It's really not that hard to understand, Vern. It's just a matter of comprehending our country's would-be official language ... a skill you -- and your fellow signatories on that absurd, meaningless resolution -- suddenly seem to be lacking.

Labels: , , , ,

<< Home