That's right, kids, Obama personally will come to your house and take away your guns
I almost have to laugh at the gun nuts who are caterwauling about how President Obama will ignore decades of (incorrect and politicized) Second Amendment jurisprudence and, presumably in person, come to their homes and "take away their guns." Almost. The only reason I don't laugh about it is because it's so fucking scary.
Never mind the fact that American courts routinely overlook half of the Second Amendment -- namely the first part, "a well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state," which if taken at its word would severely curtail the gun-lovers' argument since most private firearm owners are not part of a militia, that is, the military as it was known in the 1780s -- the hysteria about Obama "taking" people's guns rivals that of the swine flu scare.
Take for example the weapon-fondlers at the Suncoast Gun
Sales of guns and ammunition jumped, as did applications for concealed weapons permits, when the election of President Barack Obama became increasingly apparent in October. Many fear Obama will increase firearms regulations, make ammunition more difficult to acquire and ban some guns outright.I love the "logic" of the shoot-and-spank crowd: Obama's going to take away our guns, so let's buy more guns. What, you barrel-fellators think that'll stop him? Can't he just make a second trip to your house?
Obama, the joke goes, is the gun salesman of the year. Firearms and ammunition companies have benefited greatly.
[...]
Local Wal-Marts ... limit customers to a six-box purchase of 9 mm boxes, but they still can’t keep the ammunition in stock.
Paul Ryan, 47, of Punta Gorda, was searching for .380-caliber and .38 special rounds, with little luck. Asked about the dearth of ammunition, he pointed to the election. But he said Obama’s power will be kept in check by Democrats from rural states and pressure from the National Rifle Association.
“The situation at hand is one of panic, not reality,” he said.
But if Obama is re-elected? Then he might make a move, Ryan figures.
“I hope the NRA maintains its pressure,” he said.
There's plenty I could say about the Second Amendment and the alleged "right" to own firearms. Yeah, I'm a DFH, so of course I think assault weapons should be banned, more stringent background checks should be imposed, and regulations ought to be increased. But for now, I think the firearm fetishists' rampant Obama-fear says more than I could ever put down in pixels.
Labels: Barack Obama, Florida, gun control, Second Amendment




















<< Home