Please help send me and my colleagues to Denver
In almost four years of this sucky blog, I've never asked any reader for money for anything, other than maybe an occasional nudge about the DFH stickers. But now I'm going to change that.
I'm asking for your help -- not just for me, but for the entire Florida Progressive Coalition (FPC) team that is planning to go to Denver for the Democratic National Convention in August. Frankly, personal cash flow and the economy being what they are, this trip is not going to be easy for me financially -- and I know that some of my FPC colleagues are in even more dire straits in that regard -- so if you can help, you would be doing something truly meaningful: in a very real sense, you will be making a difference.
The FPC is undertaking a rather ambitious project: to raise $6,000 in a month. With corporate donations, blog ads, and such, it comes out to each of us coming up with a minimum of $500, or an average of 20 donors of $25 each. Some of you, especially those whom I know personally, will be hearing from me individually. But I'm asking all of you to consider making a gift, either by sending a check or via Paypal (details below). While we consider $25 a reasonable donation, there is no reason that you shouldn't consider giving more if you can (or, of course, less if you must).
Now, why give?
The Florida Progressive Coalition team is committed to bringing you the best coverage of the Democratic National Convention anywhere. I don't just mean the best blog coverage -- I mean the best coverage, period. Better than the TV networks, the cable news networks, the magazines and newspapers, and the blogs -- the best anywhere. We'll be literally all over Denver, fanning out to committee sessions, the Big Tent, and informal gatherings. We'll be on the convention floor providing true gavel-to-gavel coverage, and we'll be at Invesco Field at Mile High to bring you Barack Obama's historic acceptance speech.
And although I'm loath to toot my own horn, you've seen examples of my own liveblogging abilities, whether it's been Sen. Obama's May appearance in Boca Raton, the Jefferson-Jackson Day festivities in 2007 and 2008, last month's book tour kickoff by Rep. Robert Wexler, or other events. I'd like to think I've been able to give my readers real and complete insight into all of those events and more, and I hope you would agree.
No, you don't have to pay for that privilege; you can read it here whether or not you give (provided we raise enough to actually go on the trip!). But just think for a minute: isn't it worth $25 -- or whatever you can give -- to be tied into that kind of coverage? To have, if you will, a little piece of the pie -- a little ownership of history in the making?
Each donor will be recognized publicly unless otherwise directed. Gifts are not tax-deductible, but because Florida Progressive Coalition is an LLC, they do not fall under any campaign finance laws or limits. Further details about making a donation to FPC are available here.
You may give via Paypal (click on Personal/Send Money then enter quinnelk@gmail.com in the "To:" box) or you may send a check (made out to the Florida Progressive Coalition) directly to the FPC chair:
Kenneth Quinnell
3328 Whirlaway Trail
Tallahassee, FL 32309
3328 Whirlaway Trail
Tallahassee, FL 32309
Whichever method you use, please e-mail me or Kenneth to let one of us know that your gift comes from the Blast Off!/Sinfonian appeal, so that we can account for your donation accordingly. And if you have any questions at all about giving, what your gift covers, or anything else regarding the trip, please let me know in Comments or e-mail me directly.
Thank you so much for considering how you can help make blogging history. I personally promise to make your gift count and to give you the best coverage anywhere -- bar none.
Labels: Democratic convention, Florida Progressive Coalition, Kenneth Quinnell, personal




















<< Home