Monday, June 2, 2008

Sadness

During my Blast Off! Radio show today, I received a phone message from my mother, and when I had a chance to check it right after the show, I learned of the death today of my stepfather, at the age of 86. I just found out about ten minutes ago, as I write this.

I don't know what plans the family is making right now, but I do know that blogging necessarily may have to be at a bit of a premium during the next week or so, as I make plans to travel to North Carolina and deal with the logistical issues of taking my kids along, etc. I apologize for this unexpected -- yet, I hope understandable -- hiatus, and appreciate your thoughts and condolences for my family, especially for my mother. Thanks.

UPDATE (4:31 pm 6/2/08): I should note that my stepfather and my mother married in 1995, when I was almost 30, and so I didn't grow up with him. Just as well, since he once loudly proclaimed me a "flaming liberal" at a family gathering some years ago. (I wear that as a badge of honor to this day, BTW ...)

Of course, I still mourn his death, but my concern is more for my mother. I honestly don't know how well she will cope on her own.

Anyway, thanks again for all good thoughts.

UPDATE (9:12 pm 6/2/08): Well, as it appears services will not take place until next week, perhaps Tuesday, the best thing I can do is have as normal a week as possible. So look for the blogging to keep going more or less normally this week, at least until Friday, and I'll see about a hiatus or whatever at that point.

Thanks again for your understanding and patience.

Labels: ,

<< Home