Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Today's Daily Schadenfreude: torture-lover Douglas Feith

I actually had another winner in mind for today's Daily Schadenfreude, but I'll post about that conventionally later. I like to be responsive to my readers, so when Ben of The Spencerian e-mailed me this morning to nominate Doug Feith for the DS today, well, it's my pleasure to comply with the request. After all, I'm a former radio DJ ... I love requests.

You remember Feith, don't you? He's the moron who strongly advocated illegal war (as chronicled beautifully and thoroughly in a book edited by my friend, the lovely and talented Athenae of First Draft) and who lately has strongly advocated torture. The champion of "peace through strength" who justified the illegal invasion and occupation of Iraq as "anticipatory self-defense," Feist was on a two-year contract teaching at Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service. Yesterday, the school announced that his contract would not be renewed.

"Technically I was appointed for two years and there was no extension of the appointment," Feith said in an interview. "My understanding is that there were some members of the faculty that didn’t want me on the faculty."

Before coming to Georgetown in 2006, Feith served as under secretary of defense for policy from July 2001 to August 2005 under President Bush, playing a pivotal role in planning the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003.

SFS Dean Robert Gallucci said that there was already an agreement in place between Feith and the university that his contract would be limited to two years and was not expected to be renewed.

"I announced it was a two-year contract, and it was widely understood," he said. "I decided to stay with my statement that the contract was only two years and that was the prudent thing to do."

But Feith said he got the sense that the reason his contract was not extended was because of political views and past work that generated controversy among many faculty members. "I think it is the only reason," Feith said.
Hang on, Doug, I'm calling you a WAAAAAAAAHmbulance. Look, I don't know whether the reason for your non-renewal is political, but even if it is, you aren't the first person to lose a job for political reasons. Believe me.

I think it's terrific that a complete fucktard like Feith finally gets a taste of comeuppance. He's been a boil on the ass of American foreign policy for far too long. Yeah, I know he'll get his Wingnut Welfare gig, but at least academia doesn't have to be stained by his stupidity any longer.

So, congratulations to Doug Feith, who appropriately is known as "the fucking stupidest person on the face of the earth." Today's Blast Off! Daily Schadenfreude is for you!

Labels: , , ,

<< Home