Thursday, February 14, 2008

Hyperventilating ...

Ohmygodohmygodohmygod ...

Minutes ago, I ran into (almost literally) one of my all-time political heroes.

I'm at the University of Miami running an errand, and I had to go to the University President's office. As I stepped into the building, there in front of me, looking slightly bewildered, was former U.S. senator, Florida governor, and presidential candidate Bob Graham. He apparently was looking for the President's Office, too, I concluded as I awkwardly stammered, "Hello, Governor." I momentarily forgot about his years in the Senate ...

As I climbed the stairs behind him, though, I regained my composure and, properly calling him "Senator" this time, I introduced myself, gave him my card, and told him how much I admire him. He couldn't have been more gracious, even when I recalled that the first time we met was when I was a delegate to Florida's American Legion Boys' State and he was governor ... back in 1982.

He said he appreciated my kind words and wished me luck in my work with [unnamed state] University. I'm not the type to be starstruck, but this was special.

I wish I had my camera with me ...

UPDATE (11:53 pm 2/14/08): But wait ... there's more!

Labels: , , , ,

<< Home