Today's Daily Schadenfreude: Rep. Dave Weldon (R-Fla.)
This is how eager I am to celebrate the impending departure of Dave Weldon, one of the most rabid, egregious, stupid wingnuts in Congress (and my former rep from my time in that bastion of wingnuttery, Brevard County):
I was driving down I-75, having just received a speeding ticket (thanks, state troopers in Alachua County!), when I learned of Weldon's decision to retire. And now I'm sitting at a restaurant near Ocala, eating a late lunch and sharing the good news with you.
Yes, Rep. Dave Weldon, whose record of asshattery in Congress stretches back to his first election to that formerly august body in 1994, has decided to hang up his jackboots and head back to Melbourne to ... you guessed it ... spend more time with his family.
Today U.S. Representative Dave Weldon, Republican, District 15 of Florida, announced his intention to retire from the House of Representatives at the conclusion of the 110th Congress.I'm truly at a loss to come up with enough negative adjectives to describe Weldon. As a medical doctor, you'd think he'd have some sense especially on issues related to medicine, but his continuous opposition to stem cell research and even his position on the Terri Schiavo saga seem more the deranged idiocy of uneducated, mouth-breathing hicks than a supposedly intelligent doctor and congressman. Then again, those uneducated, mouth-breathing hicks sent Weldon to Washington for fourteen years, so perhaps I shouldn't be so surprised.
Citing a desire to return to medical practice and devote more time to his family, Weldon extended his thanks to those who helped him through his seven terms in Congress.
"I want to thank my wife Nancy and my kids for all the support over these many years, as well as my staff and the people who supported my re-election efforts. It is a very big undertaking to run and successfully serve, and I would never have been able to do it were it not for the generous help of so many fine people," said Weldon.
Of course, it's plenty schadenfreude-worthy to celebrate the departure of such a pitiable person from Congress. But for icing on the cake, how about an arrest in the family?
The daughter of longtime Florida Congressman Dave Weldon was arrested this morning after a Melbourne bar fight, officials said.HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Now that's some tasty schadenfreude, don't you think?!
According to an arrest report, an off-duty Brevard County sheriff’s deputy arrested Kathryn “Katie” Weldon, 21, around 1:40 a.m. at the County Line Saloon on US 192 near Interstate 95 after she struck Aneff Solis with a shoe, cutting him under his left eye.
Bar bouncer Robert McClure saw her hit Solis, the report said.
Weldon was taken to the Brevard County jail in Sharpes and booked on a battery charge, records show.
Katie Weldon even has a record, having previously been arrested for possession of marijuana (the charges there were later dropped). And I knew before I even saw the article that the incident must have happened at the County Line, where according to my ex-brother-in-law, a Brevard County Sheriff's Deputy, there's at least one fight a night. I mean, sensible people don't even go to the County Line. But, then, we're talking about a girl who was raised wingnut, so Republican rebellion is natural, even expected ... as is violence, sexual misconduct, hypocrisy, arrests, drug use ... whoa, sorry, kinda got carried away there.
So who steps into the 15th District seat vacated by Weldon? Speculation includes state Rep. Thad Altman (R-Melbourne), former county commissioner Nancy Biggs (D-Melbourne Beach), and wingnut state Sen. Bill Posey (R-Rockledge).
But you heard it here first, folks: watch out for state Sen. Mike Haridopolos (R-Melbourne). This is a guy I know personally, and not only is he a disingenuous, plastic windbag, his politics are somewhere to the right of Mussolini. He'd be a disaster for the 15th District in Congress, and yet in conversations I've had over the years, he often was mentioned as Weldon's heir apparent. I don't know whether he'll run or not, but I'm just saying: look out, and get to work, Brevard Democrats. Haridopolos is a snake.
But for now, let's celebrate! I can think of few things that could make me happier (politically, anyway) than the departure of Dave Weldon from Congress. You've done enough harm, Dave. You know, Dave, it's the Hippocratic Oath, not the Hypocritical Oath.
Anyway, this is a good day indeed, as I congratulate Rep. Weldon, for today's Blast Off! Daily Schadenfreude is for you!
Labels: Brevard County, Dave Weldon, FL-15, Florida, Katie Weldon, Mike Haridopolos, schadenfreude




















<< Home