Stephen Colbert actually wins an election
Well, sort of.
In my old college town of Williamsburg, Va., the "Colonial Capital" where I spent four
According to city ordinance, the election now goes to the tie-breaker procedure: the winner's name will be drawn from a hat (presumably not a tricornered hat, but one never knows). However, Colbert will not be part of the drawing, because he's not a registered voter in the city of Williamburg.
Matt Beato, a 20-year-old government major, and Benjamin Strahs, a computer science and math major, collected three write-in votes. So did Colbert. And those votes were tied for the second elected spot.As a government major, which I was as well, I hope Beato has learned an important lesson: just as three votes can elect a nutcase, so can 62,040,610.
[...]
Neither Strahs nor Colbert could be reached for comment, but Beato, who chairs the college's student assembly senate, expressed a concern that was echoed across the region last week when voters faced ballots with uncontested races.
"I'm not crazy, but any nut case could win with three votes," Beato said. "Somebody should make sure that doesn't happen."
Labels: college, election, personal, Stephen Colbert, William and Mary, Williamsburg




















<< Home