Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Tough week to be an Orioles fan

I know, I know, you're saying "enough with the baseball already."

But I just got home from a work-related dinner and thought I'd see how my Orioles did in the first game of tonight's doubleheader against the Texas Rangers. The answer? Not so good.

The Orioles had their feel-good afternoon dented in the first half of their doubleheader on Wednesday, when the Rangers steamed ahead to steal the stage from manager Dave Trembley [who was hired for 2008]. Baltimore's pitching staff notched a season-high total for runs allowed in an inning twice and also set a new franchise record for runs allowed in a 30-3 loss.

The 30 runs allowed was the most allowed in American League history and the most in the Majors since 1897. Seven of Texas' starters scored more than once, and four different players -- Ramon Vazquez, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Marlon Byrd and Travis Metcalf -- drove in at least four runs. Saltalamacchia and David Murphy both scored five times.

"You have to have a real short memory and you let it go," Trembley said after the rout.
Thirty runs? Holy shit. First Wild Bill Hagy dies, then this?

Well, as I write this, it's 3-3 in the third inning of the second game. Nowhere to go but up, I suppose ...

Labels: , , ,

<< Home