Another challenger opts out of race in FL-22
Whether it's Ron Klein's strength as a freshman congressman or merely a dearth of Republicans itching to take him on, something is keeping the challengers at bay here in Florida's 22nd congressional district (a/k/a the Most Gerrymandered District in America).
The latest to decline to take Klein on is popular Boca Raton mayor Steven Abrams.
“I have decided not to be a candidate for Congress,” the mayor said in an emailed statement. “This was a most difficult decision for me. I want to thank all those who encouraged me to run and made very generous commitments of support.”So far, the only Republican to file candidacy papers is Marc Flagg, who according to the linked article "is a former Navy pilot who is now a flight engineer for United Parcel Service. He is also president of the Passenger Cargo Security Group, which promotes airline security." Hmmm ...
“As the citizens of Boca Raton know, I love public service,” he said. “But I love my family more. Unfortunately, running for Congress is an eighteen-month, full-time commitment, compounded by my law firm's policy of not allowing its attorneys to run for Congress.”
“I have two children fast approaching college age, and while I certainly have my own dreams, I also have to consider making sure my children have the opportunity to fulfill their dreams,” he added.
He said he will serve the remainder of his term – which runs out March 31, 2008, “with enthusiasm, and look forward to continuing to play a meaningful role in the public arena in the future.”
I'm sure someone will come forward to sacrifice his or her political future against Rep. Klein, who unlike his neighbor Tim Mahoney of the 15th District actually has shown some balls in Congress. Until then, though, it's good to see another potential challenger decide to bow out.
[ED. NOTE: Yes, I'm still alive, but my energy was really, really low the last few days. I never even got online over the weekend, save for Friday when I stayed home from work and wrote only a brief post. Stay tuned, though, as Blast Off! returns to health and snark.]
Labels: FL-15, FL-22, Marc Flagg, Ron Klein, Steven Abrams, Tim Mahoney




















<< Home