Thursday, December 7, 2006

In which I piss off a wingnut conservative

I see my Daily Schadenfreude below about George H.W. Bush's teary description of Jeb!'s courage in the face of electoral defeat apparently has aroused the ire of a right-wing commentator.

Feel free to share your thoughts with my new friend. Here's what I said:

Hey, cool - thanks for the trackback!

And as far as "laughing" at GHWB crying for his son - please give me a break. First of all, I have plenty of sympathy for a father genuinely grieving for some aspect of his son's life that is worthy of such emotion. In my opinion, for a public figure like GHWB, the election loss of one son who went on to serve two terms as governor of the nation's fourth largest state is not unlike spilt milk, when compared with the tens of thousands of lives lost as a result of another son's delusional vendetta against a dictator who, it has been proven repeatedly (please don't insult my intelligence by demanding a link - we'll be here for a week if I linked everything), posed no threat to the United States in any way.

Once I see GHWB, or GWB, or let's just say anyone named Bush expressing any grief whatsoever over the disastrous impact of the current administration rather than troubling their beautiful minds over their own legacies (say, perhaps, shedding a tear over a flag-draped casket at Dover AFB), then I'll admit that I may have been a bit harsh in my assessment. Until then, though, all I'll say is thanks again for the attention.

**********

The ever-sensitive left "bleeding hearts" couldn't contain themselves with joy at seeing a Bush cry

Oh, and one last thing. If you want to say "Sinfonian couldn't contain himself ...," that's fine, but it's misleading and disingenuous to assign my schadenfreude, to which I openly admit, to all liberals of whatever stripe. Please don't generalize like that. It calls the rest of your opinions into question if you can't separate one individual's opinion from that of an entire half (or so) of the American ideological spectrum.
As the creator and sole arbiter of the Blast Off! Daily Schadenfreude award, I've decided to accept this plaintive post by the author of Politics and Culture as a nominee for today's honors. Congratulations! Stop by later to see if you've won!

UPDATE (9:16 am 12/7/06): Given evidence of the aforementioned blogger's sincerity and apparently sensibility (see comments), I have removed the "wingnut" label. Call me a "compassionate liberal."

Labels: , , ,

<< Home